Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Cautionary Money Reading


I pulled these cards yesterday and they are supposed to pertain to my finances, which are rather bad at the moment. Well, I mean...could be much worse, so I shouldn't say that. I don't have any money is probably more accurate. HOWEVER, I do have a roof over my head and enough food to eat, although that could quickly change if I am not careful!

After forlornly reviewing my bank account which holds forty-seven cents I am realizing I need to be a lot more proactive about my fiscal status. My husband has a steady job (as far as we know now) but even then finances are often tight. We don't have any savings whatsoever and we have credit card debt (though far less than many people I've known). I am realizing that if I ever wish to get ahead of the curve I need to change the way I am doing things.

There are several basic ways I can do this that are springing to mind. Some of them are basic and obvious, and some things may not be as obvious to me and I will have to investigate them.

Ideas for money-saving, fiscal responsibility:

  • Avoid impulse purchases, only get things when needed and plan ahead.
  • Avoid nickle and diming myself to death. Small purchases add up quickly!
  • Gift handmade cards and homemade gifts instead of purchasing gifts.
  • Don't be self-conscious or nervous about selling things I've made. Accept money.
  • Dramatically cut back on going out to eat, try to meal plan to save money.
  • Don't buy any new tarot decks unless a huge surplus of money comes in.
  • Find as many free or cheap activities to do with my daughter as possible.
  • Start a small savings account, put away money.
Those are some ideas, anyway. What I really need to do in addition to these things is be honest with myself about any venture I supposedly create. If I am going to do something I have to be at least somewhat serious about it! I feel like I always chicken out and get squeamish about accepting money. No wonder I never have any money! Anyway...

The cards shown here are House, The Familiar and The Bats. The latter two are extras in Shaheen's deck.  The House card can be quite literal and refer to a house, but it can also refer to security, not too unlike the 10 of Pentacles. It makes me think of a home base, safety, security, real estate. Of course there's tons of money in real estate. If I was an ambitious, money-minded woman I would do something with that but alas, I am not. I am a very right-brained artistic sort of person who does not like dealing with monetary matters. However, I am starting to think that this REALLY needs to change. I don't have to sell my soul to be financially secure.

The presence of The Familiar and The Bat both make me think of receiving guidance. Both of these cards have that feel to them. Here are the descriptions from Shaheen:

The Familiar: Spirit guide, spirit animal, soul connection, protection, warning, shape shifting, vision quest.

The Bats: Rebirth, change, transformation, the unknown, pay attention, shamanism.

Interesting...

So what do these have in common? I would say that both mention a kind of warning and to pay attention, and they also both have a kind of spiritual/guidance kind of feel to them.

There's something funny that I noted when viewing this trio, which is that they remind me of that children's song that says:

The farmer in the dell
The farmer in the dell
Heigh ho the derry-o
The farmer in the dell

The farmer takes a wife
The farmer takes a wife
Heigh ho the derry-o
The farmer takes a wife
The wife takes the child
The wife takes the child
Heigh ho the derry-o
The wife takes the child
The child takes the cow
The child takes the cow
Heigh ho the derry-o
The child takes the cow

The cow takes the pig
The cow takes the pig
Heigh ho the derry-o
The cow takes the pig
The pig takes the dog
The pig takes the dog
Heigh ho the derry-o
The pig takes the dog

The dog takes the cat
The dog takes the cat
Heigh ho the derry-o
The dog takes the cat
The cat takes a mouse
The cat takes a mouse
Heigh ho the derry-o
The cat takes a mouse

The mouse takes the cheese
The mouse takes the cheese
Heigh ho the derry-o
The mouse takes the cheese
The cheese stands alone
The cheese stands alone
Heigh ho the derry-o
The cheese stands alone

Do you know what I mean?

Anyway...maybe I am just loopy from the heat. Haha!

Also...'the cheese' is another word for money.

Well...that is all.

Love,
MM

6 comments:

  1. Hi MM. All of your bullet-point ideas for money-saving responsibility are very reasonable and sound. These are a great place to start!! I know what it's like to be, shall we say, in an impecuniary position. Definitely take money for the results of your creative impulses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla! And thank you for coming by. I need to comment on your blog! I am so insanely behind on blogs--it's terrible. Anyway, I do hope to be better at this...for a variety of reasons. I am going to consciously work on it but not be negatively obsessed with it.

      Sorry about your impecuniary position (thank you for that--I don't think I've ever seen that word).

      In Resilient Fecundity,
      MM

      Delete
  2. Yep, I'm with Carla: you should allow abundance into your life by valuing what you do, accepting money for it! I also notice how often you say, I'm not a right-brained, financially-able person (or words to that effect). And it makes me think of the LOA, or of NLP - there is a part of our brain that believes the things we say, so if we say we're stupid, we come to believe that, and act in that way. So, how could you positively reframe that? I am a creative person who values what she does?
    Hugs,
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I don't know why this is so hard. I hate to admit it but there's a large part of me that believes that no one will like me if I don't shower them with gifts. And if I accept anything from anyone else I have this deep-seated belief that they'll feel I am a burden to them, so I have to stay on the giving side so that they see me favorably. I guess that sounds pretty demented, especially when I see it typed out like this--but it seems to be the truth!

      I think I have had some bad experiences when friends who seemed favorably disposed towards me when I was especially generous with them. Their affection for me waned and I think that I was either being used or I the friendship or relationship was not that great to begin with. I am sure it's the latter but I've convinced myself that it's that I need to pay people off somehow. I had a boyfriend who I would always order food for because he was lazy and would be on the computer after cafe hours for the university we attended together. I spent maybe hundreds, possibly a thousand or more, dollars over almost a year getting him food or gifts or whatever. I remember one gift he gave me: a rock that was rose-shaped (you can buy them for a dollar at any rock shop), and he also gave them to a couple other female friends, many of whom he flirted with.

      In any event, it's obvious that my self-esteem is shattered and it is going to take some effort for me to get back to it...if I even had any to begin with. I know I've done this to myself or at least I've perpetuated the pattern, so I know that it can change, but sometimes it seems like an uphill struggle.

      I get frustrated with LOA, but at the same time there are some definite merits to it and at the very least I want some kind of practice with affirmations to help let go of the patterns that bind me and embrace the concept of success and healthy self-esteem.

      Big hugs,
      MM

      Delete
  3. Hi MM,

    If you take the keyword approach to reading Lennie's, one interpretation of these would be "protecting your property through paying attention". Which fits pretty well with your list of ideas :)

    Cheesy hugs,
    Chloƫ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that makes sense! There's that feeling of protection/guidance, and then the warning and pay attention messages...so I think that is a good way to read it.

      Thanks for the tips. OXO...
      MM

      Delete