Monday, October 28, 2013

Exiting the Cocoon: Making Progress


Here are a few cards I pulled yesterday. These cards pertain to a question I had regarding taking some tentative steps out of my divination cocoon. I've always been very careful and nervous about discussing divination with the public-at-large. I don't like to be vulnerable about such a reviled topic. People can be very opinionated about tarot readers. I can understand why it's a difficult topic to broach. For that reason I have really kept it quiet for the most part. Occasionally I will mentioned it, and as time goes on I am trying more and more to let go in this respect.

I was talking to my husband about this recently--that I have an unfortunate tendency of throwing myself out into the world only to nervously scoot back into the 'safe zone' where nothing fun or exciting ever happens and I'm living in fear of what other people think of me. I have kept up this dance for a long time! I know some of you can really relate to this. I feel like the things I am interested in are often unpopular with the general population: alternative health, divination and the arts. I mean, I think a lot of people adore these things, but there are a surprising number of people who really look down on them. That isn't to say that this is an excuse not to express these things! It's just that I am overly sensitive and I need to just jump out of that cocoon, burn it and not hop back in.

Anyway. Back to the cards. I feel like these cards show this process. There's the card of Understanding, showing a kind of mini revelation. The Conclusion card, also quite self-explanatory, marks the end of a chapter--hopefully the beginning of the end of fear and self-censorship. And, of course, there's one of my favorite cards, the Success card, showing a diploma congratulating you for taking something to the next level.

It is tempting (very tempting!) to stay stuck in our personal ruts. I have no doubt I will slip up repeatedly in this process of being more self-assured. It will be painful at times, but I am going to keep trucking along at my own pace and see how it goes.

Love,
MM

8 comments:

  1. I know the dance far to well and I tend to be very private about my interests and spirituality. Becoming confident is an ongoing process which is hard but very rewarding
    Thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I'm very glad it is a helpful reminder to you. It's definitely stressful...but I guess it's worth it if whatever you're doing is true to your nature.

      Love,
      MM

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I think it helps if you can find your tribe too, people you can talk to about your interests without self-censoring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dearie...I always love chatting with all of you. ;)

      Delete
  3. What about starting your own 'physical' tarot group, for likeminded individuals. I did this with friends, but you could advertise and hold it in a cafe maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure--perhaps sometime in the future! I am realizing I'm not a big group person. I've become more and more of an introvert! But I might not mind something less commitment-based, such as a workshop combining art and tarot. xxoo

      Delete
  4. Hi Mentha, I agree with what the Prince is saying. Find your own community/people. It helps a lot. Now as you may know, I work in a "formal" job, i.e. for a regional Council, as their environment officer. I've openly told people I am a tree hugger, a tarot reader and astrologer. About a year ago I told my boss the reason I was taking two weeks leave was to attend a tarot conference in Melbourne :) teeeheeeheee. Yes, I still care but at the same time, I love that I have found "me", and when I look around the office, very few people have found a deeply joyful purpose in life. They just keep dying inside, day by day, in front of a computer screen... I suppose each to their own, but I laugh when I can see they judge me, when I know how much their soul longs to break free and dance in the world. Well, that's enough of a ramble from me. Still, keep going, I think you are doing marvelously and thank you for such a beautiful work of art that is your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Monica! I think you guys are definitely a big part of my community and I love communicating with you here! I know what you mean about people being locked into a certain way of being--I know we're all guilty of that! It's easy to get stuck in ruts, not wanting to change your mind about anything, or allow for any new possibility! I say...question everything, even your firmest beliefs. I've found that I'm fairly flexible about a lot of things, but there are other things that I have a strong, visceral reaction to, and I can only figure it's because I have some negative attachment to them--a kind of trauma. Thanks for the great ramble! :D hugs!

      Delete