Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Riding the Creative Project Wave


This is sort of funny. Last night I went on another app purchasing spree. Ugh! I need to stop now. I accidentally purchased this one. It was the one I DIDN'T want to purchase because it was just way too cheesy! I was looking for the least cheesy ones, and I thought I had purchased a different app and when I saw I had purchased this one I thought, 'WHAT?!? NOOOOOO!!!' I think it was a kind of expensive one, too. $10? So I was really annoyed. But there's one thing I've noticed about cheesy oracles. They tend to be surprisingly specific and accurate.  Such is the case with this one. I guess that's why I am not as against them as I try to be...

Lately I've been thinking about creative ventures again. I am a little crispy around the edges from previous attempts (hand-painted jewelry, the bath and body stuff, and various other half-measures) that just didn't seem to pan out the way I planned and so I gave up. That's the thing--I feel like my problem is a lack of persistence. My husband commented on this to me in the car yesterday afternoon as we were on our way somewhere. I started to say that it was as if I stopped myself before I had the chance to become even remotely successful. He immediately agreed and said he thought that was EXACTLY what was going on with me. So, after hearing a radio show that really highlighted persistence and accountability, I decided to do that for myself. Plus, the holidays are coming up and I know that this is when people tend to purchase things!

Even though I have a sore throat (ugh, another cold, but whatever) and I feel low energy today, I drove myself home after dropping my daughter off at school, and I immediately sat down and wrote out a bunch of labels for some solid lotions. I'm in the middle of it now. I'll finish that today and then after that I will repackage and re-label a bunch of soaps. I also e-mailed the woman who owns an art center where I used to teach to ask about participating in the holiday art show and sale again this year. I started to realize that usually by now I get an e-mail asking whether I want to participate. I decided to jump on it and say I was interested, because I still have a giant stock of soaps to sell (still think I have maybe 100 left!) as well as some bath salts and some new solid lotions. And I may do tarot and oracle readings again. 

I pulled these cards while parked in front of a coffee shop and I thought, 'Hrm. Ok. I guess this does make sense.' I got the Entrepreneur card twice so I paid special attention to it. The Entrepreneur card speaks about a person preferring to do things on their own rather than working for a company or a typical 9-5 job. That is so true! Like most creative folks, I have a cycle of creative and fallow periods in an endless ouroboros kind of way. The infinity of this process never ceases to amaze me. I am sure it will only continue throughout my life!

Rather than fight this or downplay my creative ability or inclination, I've decided to lean in to it, and try to reach out for opportunities from various areas. I may put some soaps and body products in my mom's new booth at a specialty consignment shop, and I was asked by one of the owners of a local cafe to bring in some samples of things to possibly sell, and I may try to opt in to other venues that come up as they come up.

I was really touched when a couple of people reached out to help me sell my things, such as my mom, a lovely friend of mine from art school, and the owner of the coffee shop. Also, I feel gratitude toward a friend who purchased a reading from me, as I did not ask for money from her but she gave it to me anyway. I have gotten a lot of moral and financial support from my parents and friends and tarot community...so thank you all!

Additionally, I am going to try my best not to limit myself to one thing, because I've found that when I do this it creates tunnel vision and that is when things begin to fall apart. Expand, expand, expand...

Love,
MM

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha, as a double Gemini there is no way on earth I can ever just do one thing. Doesn't mean I'm not focused, just that I swap between my foci :) Hope you find lots of projects that inspire you, and can lean into that creativity!
    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Chloë!

      Most people, especially creative types, do not like monotony or the same job for 25+ years. There are always exceptions to this, but I think variety is essential to pretty much everyone! I am trying to not burn myself out on things or put all my eggs in one basket, as I am wont to do!

      Much Love,
      MM

      Delete
    2. That's a tough one, MM. On the one hand, you can burn out trying to do too many things, on the other, you can get bored or simply not do great because you set yourself to just one thing. Ah, balance, such a delicate dance!

      Wishing you luck finding your happy medium.
      Much love,
      Chloë

      Delete
    3. Yes. I think this is where getting in touch with how you feel about something is essential. If it feels like it's time to move on, 8 of Cups style, then you have to do it! You can't hold on to a corpse! I try to check in with myself, but emotions can be powerful and misleading, so I try to use my intuition above it all.

      Wishing you luck in balancing your life, too!

      XOXO,
      MM

      Delete
  2. " I am not as against them as I try to be..." Why should you if you enjoy them. There are no rules which decks are "sophisticated" enough to blog about.
    I have this deck and I love it. Some days you just need sweet angels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...well, to be honest...some of the descriptions don't really jive with my beliefs, or they are over the top. But then I realize I am taking myself WAY too seriously, so I try to relax and I can enjoy them more and just dismiss whatever doesn't sit well with me.

      Much Love,
      MM

      Delete