Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Temptation and Rest: Habits Feed on Tiredness

This is a pretty humorous combination, but it's absolutely relevant! I find that when I really get specific with my queries I tend to get the best information and the most out of the reading. Last night I was thinking of how I was falling back into bad habits with stress snacking and eating too late at night. For a while there I was doing very well with very moderate eating with minimal sugar and caffeine. I wasn't eating nearly enough, even! My pants were so loose that I could easily pull them on and off without unbuttoning them and my wedding ring was loose, too.

But then I started to stress, I guess. I'm not sure why exactly--but I went too far in the other direction. I wasn't eating enough during the day and so I started to get hungrier at night, which in turn made me feel icky and sleep poorly. So now I'm bringing things back into balance and trying to shift things back to eating more moderately during the day, but enough not to make me feel hungry at night.

This was the single card pull I did when asking about my recent slide with going back to eating too much late in the day and feeling crappy physically. It is the perfect card: Temptation (aka the Devil). The Devil, for me, has been more about bad habits than anything else. Sometimes it can mean hardcore addiction/drug use, etc, but usually it means the day to day addictions to too much screen time, negative thinking, carbs, sugar, snacking, caffeine, or (insert your favorite addiction). We all have them! When we're out of balance, stressed or tired, these things come more into focus. So, very to-the-point reminder today!

Today, after dropping my daughter off at school, I found myself feeling very, very low energy. Super tired. I was a little frustrated by this because I don't like being tired! I want to feel engaged in life, energetic. Originally, when I left to drop off my daughter I had ideas of things I wanted to do: looking around for gifts for my wonderful Sagittarian friends and family who have birthdays coming up, sitting in a nice coffee shop and brainstorming, maybe doing a couple errands or getting a few groceries, etc.

But after I dropped off my daughter, my energy also dropped off. By the time I got back toward town I felt like I needed to go lay down. Nothing sounded fun anymore. Not in a depression way but in a pure energy sort of way. I decided to go home and rest for a bit before going out. When I got home I pulled a single card from this app again and I got the 4 of Swords. The rest and sleep card! The chill out card. I laughed a little because I had been hoping for a pep talk to get me into the 'groove' again, but instead I got a confirmation of what my body was telling me: you're tired! Go rest for a while! I don't know why I fight against these things. In any event, that is my plan for the day. Keep things low key and maybe do a couple small, manageable chores such as folding a load of laundry or sweeping or something that doesn't take all of my energy away--what little I have today!

I think I want to get more in touch with the flow of my own energy day to day. I think the connection between these two cards is that when we're off balance and not listening to how we're feeling--we tend to want to push ourselves to feel motivated and energetic when we just don't feel that way, when we actually need to rest. And when we push ourselves in an artificial way that is when we're most vulnerable to our addictions--especially stimulants like caffeine and sugar. That's a recipe for burnout!

Love,
MM

8 comments:

  1. "...too much screen time, negative thinking, carbs, sugar, snacking, caffeine..."
    Hell well, I must be the Devil's left hand then 'cos I have been doing all this. And more bad things I won't say here 'cos I'll feel too bad about them, lol.

    Joking aside, I think this tiredness you felt has something to do with the end of the year vibes. I always feel very tired close to my birthday, but I notice that even people who aren't going through their astral hell feel easily exhausted near December.

    This weekend I had to take small breaks between the things I did. When to gym for an hour. Come back, shower and sleep. Practice piano for 40 minutes. Lie down and have a kip. Read two chapters of a book. And sleep. And I have slept good 8 hours at night! So, maybe there's something about this time of the year that sucks our energy... and for us, Fire Signs, it's bad because we it's rather abnormal to us! We are not used to take things slowly or allow ourselves times to rest and do nothing.

    In any case, I do hope you find a way to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--you and me both, Marina! It is a full-time job trying to rein in all those crazy impulses! But I do think self-care helps a lot in preventing the biggest blow-outs in those areas. It's also about habit. I am trying to start good habits. Nothing to feel bad about! It's OK to go crazy some of the time. It's boring doings well all the time, right?!!! :D Yes...fire signs need their intense bursts of energy, but that is definitely a recipe for burnout.

      XOXO,
      MM

      Delete
  2. I think you've handled it just fine. After some serious Devil time; taking in break and recuperate.
    After that you can resist temptation much more easy and break the negative spiral
    Good for you! :)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! You are too kind. We all need to have a little Devil time, right? No need to suppress our shadow all the way. Hopefully you have a wonderful week. XoX

      Delete
  3. Ha! I love that you were looking for a "Go get 'em!" card and got, "rest," instead, which is probably exactly what you needed most. And you are absolutely right. We are most vulnerable to our addictions when we ignore our body's rhythms and try to artificially create the feeling we think we need more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Siddaleah! Thanks--haha! Yes, it's definitely to-the-point. Granted, I did not follow the rest dictum very well, but I did rest for the first part of the day, then got restless (so-to-speak!) and then I came home after some errands and I'm trying to rest again. XoX

      Delete
  4. Interesting post! You are so right! It would be good to "listen" to our bodies more often. Muchas Estrellas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Las Magas! We all tend to ignore our poor, little bodies. Oye vey. Hope you are having a super week. xoxox!

      Delete