Saturday, February 22, 2014

Adjacent Possibilities: Don't Pigeonhole Yourself!


This has to be one of my top favorite cards from this deck. I have received it quite a lot, too. Maybe a dozen times by now. It's definitely a theme for me! I love the various doors and windows. It shows that, in life, there are always lots of options, even if we don't see them. If we're blind to them in some way, that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I've received this message in both upright and reversed form. The meaning is similar, but the reversed card meaning carries the extra push to remember to not forget that there are other ideas, other possibilities out there. It suggests that I am having some myopia when it comes to my ideals and goals. And they would be right! I can get VERY, VERY narrowly fixated on things, missing huge areas entirely from a fear of not being good enough or having enough skill--or missing smaller niches due to a generally dismissive attitude.

In any event, this card thoroughly proved itself shortly before I drew it--I had been closing the door on the bath and body stuff, simply because I did not see other possibilities, other angles for it. A friend messaged me via Facebook, asking if I could put together a dozen carnival-themed gift baskets for her wedding. Funny, but this possibility would never have occurred to me had she not mentioned it. Furthermore, I could've said, 'No, I'm not making things like that anymore' or otherwise overlooked/shot down/obliterated the possibility, but instead I've decided to give it airtime, to allow myself to do various things, even if I may have prematurely shut the door on some of those things.

My husband has been telling me pretty frequently in recent days that I have this very narrow image of what I am capable of, and I don't really deviate from that. I don't try to expand my self concept and I am fearful of stepping out of what I have set up for myself. I'm even afraid to do what I think I can do! In general, I allow fear to rule me rather than excitement or curiosity.

To recap: I have been really, sincerely hoping for a clear direction...any direction, and when I see a window I shouldn't run for the door! Sometimes I do get very clear guidance and ideas, or input from others, and I don't really allow it. I see it and try to ignore it. I think being open is a very crucially helpful thing in life.

Love,
MM

6 comments:

  1. Yes, there are always options, in every single moment we have a choice. That's a very empowering thought and message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! I agree. I think we forget this. As simple as it is, it can be surprisingly elusive! I know I forget about tons of possibilities. Or maybe I get discouraged and don't see them as being feasible. xox

      Delete
  2. I love that your friend saw a way to use your skills that you hadn't seen, and that you are letting yourself be open to it. Fear is a terrible guide in life, and being open to options sounds wonderful!
    Hugs,
    Kxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it felt like a sign from the Universe-at-large. Hahaa. I told her thanks for the nudge and she said she was glad to be an agent of change. I realize how closed off to many things I am. I tend to shut things down rather quickly. xxoxoxx. Hope you're well today. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, yes, had a good day - with time to read some good friends' blogs, which always makes me feel more positive :D Not that the blogs have to be upbeat, but that it feels good to connect, even virtually! Hugs, Kxxx

      Delete
    3. I am glad your day wasn't as rushed. My hope is that you have many loving and leisurely days this year! Xxooo

      Delete