Monday, February 24, 2014

Analysis Paralysis: Unknown Path #1 or Unknown Path #2?


I read a blog post by Teal Swan that talked about listing as many of your childhood passions and interests that you could, and then going over each one, looking for a strong emotional reaction. The one that elicits the strongest reaction is the most crucial to follow. It makes sense to me. You can't back up a course of action that lacks any oomph whatsoever, and that has no emotional connection.

O.K. So I hope y'all will forgive me for using this deck YET AGAIN. But I feel that I am going to stop using it soon. I've been hankering to get a real deck out and take photos rather than screen shots. I prefer the feel of photographs to using these pre-scanned images.

Despite my postings lately, many of them brimming with creativity momentum such as taking action, planning something specific and carrying it out, and otherwise seizing opportunities I may have rejected out of hand, I seem to still be stuck in analysis paralysis. OYE!

Well, that is alright. I recognize that I am not going to 'get it right' in one shot. I am going to flounder occasionally with this whole taking action thing, but I am not going to let it bother me too much. I mean, I want to be bothered enough that I actually take action, apply some focus and discipline and try to shoo away my ever-present fears.

Whoa, haha. I had one of those fun synchronous moments. My daughter is home sick today and she is playing a Cat in the Hat game on her computer (going to get her off the computer soon), and the Cat in the Hat (played by Martin Short), is saying some sort of rhyme about choosing something. I forget the exact wording but it's something like:

"Roses are red, violets are blue. I'm making a choice, so I choose...YOU!"

Anyway. Lovely. I have an assignment already, which is making gifts for my friend's bridal party, so I will definitely work on the details of that (scent, product ideas, packaging, etc), and I will try to see what other ideas rise to the surface of my consciousness. I have felt the tension in my body and mind lately of 'not knowing' what the heck I am doing, but that is only because I am resisting the process of figuring it out. I'm all uptight about it. I feel relaxation and being in the flow is an essential part of knowing how to move forward. I'm sure that's why meditation and relaxation practices are so key.

Love,
MM

4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of that exercise. In the book I read on Finding Flow, he said something similar, about remembering the things you used to have fun doing, and seeing if any of them still chimed, or how you might have adapted them to more "adult" versions.
    Good luck with the bridal favours, it sure sounds like a fun, slightly different approach to your soaps and bath products :)
    Hugs,
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think I accidentally credited Martha Beck with this exercise, but it was actually a spiritual blogger named Teal Swan. Oops! I will correct that. Anyway. :) I still need to make my list. I think I will do that before the end of today!

      Thanks for the good wishes, dear lady. The wedding is in June. I have plenty of time to research scents, packaging and then make them well before the wedding. That's the plan, anyway. :)

      XOXO!
      MM

      Delete
  2. Don't be too hard on yourself for not taking action yet. I like to think of those down times as a kind of simmering or steeping. It's like you're letting the intensity build up, the flavors mix and mingle, and when you're ready you'll know. The fragrance will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dearie! I really appreciate your perspective on this. :) I do agree that fallow times, where the mind simmers and slow cooks ideas is a really crucial and undervalued time. I think we kick ourselves when we don't 'do enough' according to some inner gauge, but in reality we're always planning things. There are genuine times when we are simply not acting out of fear, and I am trying to acknowledge that because I still have quite a bit of fear around my creativity and ventures. So that is what I'm trying to let go of!

      XOXO,
      MM

      Delete