Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Objective: Action

I read a comment by a friend of mine recently who said that she was looking to do more personal projects for herself (creatively speaking) because when she did personal projects it fueled her to do her other, more commissioned projects.

At first I thought that sounded exhausting, but then I thought it made sense. Action begets action. And when you do things you enjoy, for yourself, it feeds your energy level. If you don't do much of anything, you become an object at rest: stagnant. Even with blogging, I've noted that the less I blog, the less I feel like blogging. So I may begin blogging a bit more than I have. Instead of once or twice a week, maybe 3-4 times a week.

In the hopes of getting some momentum going I pulled a single card to post for today. Of course, I did lots of other readings with this deck recently, many of them very thought-provoking, and lots of repeat cards, but I decided to keep it simple. It drains the heck out of me to analyze a ton of cards on the blog. It's done so automatically when I'm looking at cards, but when I have to explain it to all of you it takes a lot of unnecessary blathering. :)

The card I got was Action. This made sense to me. It reminds me a lot of the Chariot. It even has to two different-toned horses like the Chariot does. But these horses are free. Well, there is a fence but I bet they have a pretty big area of pasture to run in, from the looks of things. I will go ahead and put a quote from the card here, just because I like to quote the text given with the card:

"This card upright indicates that you are on the right track, but your determined efforts must increase. The white horse is inner action of spirit and thought; the black is the outer work that still needs to be done. So continue taking action and trust your intuition. In time, you'll break through and see the results you've been working so hard to create."

Yeah. I mean, this makes sense to me. I've been very hesitant to take any specific action. It's only gotten worse! But, I did post something here about teaching recently (then I took it down because it sounded so tiring and I was wondering if it would just be 'blahhhh') and I suppose I should put it back up and try to follow through on some of these things. Unfortunately it's all too easy for me to slip into a molasses-filled swamp where nothing sounds interesting and I have minimal motivation to put to things. I guess, if I am being honest, sometimes I get fed up with the capricious, up and down nature of creativity and creative ventures in general. I get sick of rarely selling things, rarely making much of an impact. But when I say impact--I don't really want to be famous or anything creepy like that. I just want some steadiness of purpose, a steady stream of creativity and income, but it just doesn't always work that way! There are many pregnant pauses. There are fallow times. There are times where you don't make as many things. There are times when no one sees your creations. I don't know if I even care about that either...though I realize now that I do care about interacting with other people in some form.

I'm finding it hard to settle on a balance between interaction and alone time, even in a creative context. Do I go out there, set up a bunch of workshops for a minimal financial reward? Do I just say screw it all and get some part-time job somewhere and do art on the side? To be honest, neither option sounds that good to me. So maybe I should work harder on coming up with new and better options. There are plenty of them out there, if I am willing to look for them.

Wishing you all joy and momentum,
MM

2 comments: