Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Anchor & Fish: Financial Stability and Savings


I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love when a pull directly responds to a question. Honestly, though, this is true the vast majority of the time. This is a very elegant pull, though, and I love that.

Over at Faery Godmother Fortune's site, I found this brief description:

Fish/ Anchor- money is secure, a nest egg or ‘rainy day’ money

I was asking about our financial status and whether things might improve overall. And that does (largely) include things we do proactively to change things.

At first I feared that Anchor meant that things wouldn't change, since it has a very firm, stable feeling, but my sense of the reading was not negative at all. I didn't see it as saying, 'Sorry, dude, but things are not going to change financially.'

To me, I felt the meaning of having a nest egg, and building up funds was more accurate. We've been running behind over and over again each paycheck, despite my attempts to be frugal. I am going to step it up, though. Part of the issue was a need for some repairs (my car AC in upper 90's heat comes to mind), which added extra expenses to an already taxed (pun?) financial status.

I am putting into place some measures to help reduce shopping expenses, and debt in general. One that I'm implementing is no going out to eat for a good while. Not at all. We can't do it right now anyway, but even if we get money I am going to refrain from doing so, unless it's a special occasion (a birthday, for instance). Then I am going to place that money that would have been spent going out to eat in a savings account. There are several other things on the list of ideas for building up funds, some of which I took from an article on how to trick yourself into saving more money.

I am also going to use a (free) grocery delivery service where I order my groceries online and have them delivered once a week. This will cut down on the amount of grocery store visits where I tend to be far more tempted to make impulse purchases like a drink or snack (or essential oil).

Additionally, we have a couple of paychecks coming in that will have a bit more money than usual, and a bit extra from those will also be placed in savings.

Anyway. Those are just some examples of what I'm working on in this area.

Fishy Good Wishes,
MM

4 comments:

  1. Those sound like some good measures, and quite do-able. I use the "order online to avoid temptation" one to reasonably good effect :) Will keep my fingers crossed you don't get any more unexpected bills!
    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely input. I am glad you've found it to be helpful! I also try to avoid extraneous online purchases (like something on Etsy, or whatnot), but I noticed myself nickeling and diming myself to death. $5 here, $12 there...most of it would be things like a drink and snack for Pele or myself. It would add up fast. So, I am opting to bring snacks and drinks with me that I make at home for less money and only going out for a treat rarely. Thanks for the good bill mojo. :D XOXO

      Delete
  2. I also want to find ways to make a little money here and there this fall, but I don't really quite know how I am going to do that yet. I am going to try to do some brainstorming now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will look forward to hearing what your brainstorming brings up... :)
      Hugs, Cxxx

      Delete