Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Do and Don't Halloween Week Duo


Hello Dear Ones,

It has been 11 days since I last posted, and since then I've moved into a new house! Hooray, but also...whew. Tiring. I admit I feel rather frazzled and unsettled. I am one who is especially emotionally tied to houses and I tend to get rather attached. I found myself feeling pretty burnt out and overwhelmed by the move, even though I know it will be good ultimately. I'm trying to allow myself the time and space to feel OK with things. I think any major change can upset our careful internal balances. That is a good thing, as it can shake us out of ruts, but too much chaos can make us feel ungrounded.

Honestly, at first I was annoyed at myself for feeling anxious and shaken up by moving, but then I realized it was rude of me to be annoyed at myself for having feelings and responses to life events. Also, I feel a little chagrined that I haven't done more. I mean, I know I've only been moved in a week, but I think I had this dramatic expectation that I'd have all the rooms painted that I wanted to paint, and on and on. But life doesn't always work that way, and I think it's more beneficial for me to go at this gradually.  Anyway...who cares? I don't have to prove myself to anyone and I'm not entering a contest for who can paint a house the fastest. Though I suspect the people living here before us might have entered that contest--seeing how sloppy their painting is in several rooms!

Anyway. In honor of the week of Halloween (which I've paid little attention to, really, due to settling in), I've pulled this pair of cards. The simple spread I'm using is a do and don't. The first card is the do and the second is the don't. I also think this same configuration could be interchangeable with 'now and later'...kind of like the name of the candy. So! You'll have to excuse the generous use of weird punctuation and dramatic ellipses--I just loved the new cartoon feature on the PicMonkey.com site.

The recommendation for the moment is rest. The 4 of Swords is the respite card. Not the final resting place, but a break in the action. I know I'll be getting back to it, but in the meantime, having some rest in-between is a-ok. I do find, at least for me, that it often means literal sleep. Like I need extra sleep right now. This may well be true. I have felt rather tired since moving in. Last night I didn't sleep very well. At one point I woke up with my heart pounding from some stressful dream. It's like I'm processing all these stressful emotions at once. However, I feel myself slowly settling down. But I'm also utilizing relaxation techniques to help the process along.

The Hanged Man comes up in the don't category, though they don't have to convince me not to hang upside-down. No, but seriously! I think this shows that I don't necessarily need to sacrifice my sanity to get things done. The key word of sacrifice is often seen with this card. It also shows that maybe the delay doesn't have to be a long one. The Hanged Man can often mean a delay, or suspending an idea in order to have something else work--which is where the sacrifice part comes in.

In any case, I will take a break from the chaos, but not a really long break. I'm planning on allowing things to unfold gradually, as I attend to both practical and emotional considerations.

Much Love,
MM

6 comments:

  1. I love the part where all my stuff presents me a brand new picture in a new home, HATE the packing and toting which seems endless.
    Happy new home and happy short school commute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Sharyn! The hefting and toting around if junk is rather tiring! But I think the move is worth it. :) hugs!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you're giving yourself a break, literally and metaphorically ;) Moving house is tough, and as you say, better to paint slowly and well!
    Happy House Moving Hugs,
    Chloƫ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely! I decided it isn't worth being frazzled over. Stress is generally not a fun companion. Slow and steady! Xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations :) Well at least the main part is over - as in, you've actually moved! From now on you can take your sweet time doing everything you want :) Looking forward to pics of your new place and decorative creations ha ha. Enjoy!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica!! How are you settling? I agree...and I really should celebrate coming this far. I am very grateful! I will try to post some pics and/or pic collages of the new house soon. Hugs and November mojo to you!

      Delete