Monday, February 16, 2015

Rescue, Reversed: You Need No Rescue!


Now here's a concept that is pretty easy to understand, but hard to internalize at times. Well...for me, maybe. I think this is something I've been carrying around, consciously or unconsciously, my entire life. This idea of rescue. Now, my husband would describe this as low self-esteem. You don't believe in your own ability to manage stressful situations, so you default to wanting others to rescue you, whether it's through family, spouse, clients or through a knight-in-shining-armor type scenario.

Now, I think it's important to make the distinction here, though. It IS important and true that we're all interconnected, and none of us would survive without the help of countless others: farmers who grow the food we eat, people who work at the grocery stores, and the thousands of others whose coordinated efforts make an impact on our lives in some way. I often try to remember to internally thank those who have done things like, say, repair a road that I'm traveling on, or ship my food across the country in a big rig truck or train. There are so many hands, visible and invisible, to thank.

But this sense of needing rescue is another thing altogether. Not feeling able, not feeling good enough, not feeling confident when it is unwarranted and there's every reason to believe we can do well. Having a strong sense of self and one's own abilities is something I'm working on, and I hope to be better at before the end of my life!

Love,
MM

No comments:

Post a Comment