Thursday, June 18, 2015

Thursday Affirmation: Simple Acts of Service


I don't have much to say about this. I know I should, but I think it'll suffice to say that service is important to everyone in one way or another. Most of us do derive great satisfaction from doing things for others. But, something struck me that someone said in a blog post: anything you do, even for others, is ultimately for yourself. Whether it's global or personal, it's resonating somewhere within you, it's connected to you in some deep, personal way. Microcosm and macrocosm.

I've always thought that even the smallest things are important. That's why I try not to take the word service so seriously and strictly. Service as a concept is huge and encompassing, inclusive. There are so many tiny acts of goodness and courage, and service, going on all the time that we scarcely recognize them. Often, we don't honor anything or speak well of it unless it's some grandiose campaign. Most of the time, we dismiss and deride anything that's not over-the-top ambitious. Life is very competitive in that way. I'm realizing that, most of the time, I'm not one for global, grandiose gestures.

I find my power and focus in the day-to-day.

Love,
MM

2 comments:

  1. Great post Hannah. Lots to think about there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks, Steve! I think the word service can be intimidating. I think it sounds really scary and like being chained to something really sweaty, painful and difficult. But it doesn't have to be! xoxox

      Delete