Thursday, April 14, 2016

A Trio of Runes and My Daughter's Cycle


I felt like pulling the runes out last night, so I went ahead and pulled three runes and these are the ones I got. Granted, I am not as familiar with runes as some people are, since oracle cards and tarot are my primary divination choice, but I do love to use I-Ching and runes on occasion, and I find their answers to be very interesting and a refreshing alternative to tarot.

I looked up the various meanings to these three cards, and I was glad to see that none of them were merkstave (aka reversed), and for some reason I liked the pull so much that I left it out overnight next to my bed and fell asleep with it there.

Here are some super basic meanings for these runes, just for reference:

Dagaz: Balance, awakening, awareness, new change, vision
Thurisaz: Protection, regeneration, a catalyst, force
Jera: Cycles, a year, completion, harvest

So, I felt like this reading was somewhat momentous--showing a kind of almost forceful new beginning but with good consequences. I had no idea whatsoever what it was talking about, really, but this morning when I woke up and I was making breakfast for my daughter and she was getting ready for school she approached me and asked me how she would know if she had gotten her period. I asked her about it, and it turns out she had started her period!

The best part about all of this is that she seemed totally calm and nonchalant about it. I explained in a matter-of-fact but cheerful way how to use pads and when to check them and gave any other advice that came to mind. We were both almost relieved--I had been noticing her moodiness and growth over the past year or so. I was very impressed by how smoothly it went. I thought about how much I had agonized over how to deal with it, since my own menstruation cycle did not begin on the best of terms. I was in the middle of math class and it started--and I was teased and tormented by my classmates. Ugh!

But...I was so proud of my daughter and how she really took it into stride. She said something really funny and cute along the lines of, 'Oh, well that all makes sense! I look and feel like a little woman." Of course, that could change, but she knows I will be here if she has any questions. There is something to be said about allowing a space for things to come in--letting yourself soften into the experience instead of cringing and waiting for all hell to break loose, a habit that I am trying to extricate myself from.

I remembered the runes I pulled last night when I came back to the house after dropping off my daughter, and I reached for the bag and pulled a rune about my daughter's cycle, and the Dagaz rune came up again, which was part of the trio from last night.

Much Love,
MM

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post and congratulations for you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much! Hugs...it's funny. It just happened this past week and I haven't really talked to people about it. I think I was trying to be sort of quietly respectful of it, because I wasn't sure if Pele would want me to announce it to everyone--so I just sort of kept it on the down low. I was (and still am) super impressed by how she handled it all. XOXOX

      Delete