Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Tell n' Show Tuesday: My Essental Oil Shelf


Excuse my super-artsy photo of this. Hah! The lighting on this side of the kitchen is really low, so it's hard to get a good photo. I used flash but the images are still a bit blurry of the bottles themselves. And then, as per usual, I had to add some random artsy effects to go along with it. Despite that, I'm sure you get the idea!

I just love my little essential oils shelf. It is from a local thrift store. The story about how I got it is sort of silly. I saw the shelf at the thrift store one day several months back, and I picked it up to look at it, but set it down only for a moment. A little boy, maybe 7 years of age, saw the small shelf and picked it up and ran off with it. I was disappointed because I had wanted the shelf but I lost track of it and someone else picked it up. I chalked it up to finders keepers and left it at that.

A week or so passed, and my mom, remembering that I wanted a shelf for my essential oils, found and purchased the shelf for me, not entirely remembering that I had seen that very shelf when we were together the last time at this thrift store. Maybe on an unconscious level she had remembered, but I was thrilled to get my mini shelf. My husband attached it to the wall near our tea nook (it fits perfectly on the thick wall edge, the place where the two walls meet) and ever since then I go over there, pretty much daily, to figure out what oils I am using for the day.

It's true, I don't really have a ton of essential oils. I'd love to have 200 times this, but the nice thing about having the smaller amount is that I can easily see what I have on hand because it's on the wall in my kitchen, within easy access, where I can select oils to use in salves, soaps, cleaners, bath soaks, solid lotion bars, cooking and more! In fact, I'd argue that this is why I try to keep the number of decks I have to under 40, so that I can actually use them. Even now, I'm pondering going down even further--maybe to 20 decks. But for now, I'll keep the number where it is.

Just yesterday I combined my two bottles of organic oregano oil (that I love adding to soups or Italian meals, or even taco meat), because I needed to make room for the bottle of Desert Essence organic lavender and tea tree oil essential oil blend. Plus, I really like keeping the oils on one shelf so I don't do something silly like accidentally drink drops of essential oil because I confused them for my bottle of liquid vitamin D3...hehe!

The older I get the more I want to streamline what I have, getting rid of or using up what I have already before getting something more that I don't really need. This is, admittedly, a habit that's hard to break, because I love fun, pretty and aromatic things. I'm always wanting to buy amazing oils, lotions, candles, and on and on. I could go shopping every day and buy something new--but I'm trying to break out of having to do that on a regular basis. It feels good to be more frugal.

So that's my Tell n' Show for today.

Love,
MM

No comments:

Post a Comment